POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My first RSOCP : Re: My first RSOCP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My first RSOCP
From: Jon Buller
Date: 13 Jan 2006 12:25:00
Message: <web.43c7e1af9d79c9cbe920ef30@news.povray.org>
> "Jon Buller" <jon### [at] bullersnet> wrote:
> > Go easy on me... 8^)  I was looking at the knot thinking it could be done
> > with torus sections.  It can't quite, so I cheated...
>
> The first time I ever tried to build this figure I had no idea how to go
> about calculating it, so I too tried using torus sections... tricky, and
> only partially successful! (I was only 13 at the time...) Much easier to
> calculate it, in my opinion.
>
> Yours looks really good though :)
>
> Bill

I realized it couldn't be torus sections when I was trying to figure out
placement,  Then I realized I couldn't even just shear the sections.  The
next thought was sphere_sweep, but that was a bit of a pain, so I just
ended up using a lot of spheres. (3000 in fact, but I think it could be
less at this resolution.)  That suddenly made the color a lot easier than
if I had used the other methods.

I also tried making colored smoke or neon, but it looks really flat when the
light of the back parts shines through the front parts and the colors merge
together.

Anyone know how to make translucent smoke that is opaque in just the right
parts?  I was thinking of a neon sign without the glass tubing, or perhaps
a white fog tube with a bright colored wire running through the center to
light it.  Maybe it can't be done, or maybe I just haven't figured out what
I'm doing yet.  Any hints?

Jon